Hi list,

As a newbie myself, I thought I'd contribute something substanial to answer a request for a less expensive book on iron meteorites. I found this book years ago for a quarter in K-mart book clearance bin. I bought two. Now I wish I bought a dozen. Don't let the lack of the word Meteorite in the title fool you. This is a must have book:

"Geochemistry of Germanium"  edited by Jon N. Weber. The Pennsylvania State University 466pp. c.1973. ISBN 0-87933-058-9.

This is a collection of scientific articles including ten papers (148pp.) on germanium in meteorites, tektites and lunar material. Many of these by J.T. Wasson of UCLA including  pivotal works on the chemical classification of Iron meteorites by germanium and gallium, nickle, iridium, etc. concentration. Loads of meteorite tables, graphs and a not too a few b.w. etched meteorite photos. The non-meteoric parts of this book sizzle too (if you're into germanium.) The meteoritic part is so much more than about germanium and explains, among other things, in detail what the iron meteorite classifications are about, indeed it is a reprint of a primary text on this subject.

I've seen several copies of this book listed on abebooks.com, typically about $35 used. My extra copy is not for sale, though I may consider a trade for a slice of the Owens Valley iron.

Howard Wu

Bishop,CA