Hello Martians

After all this talk about "landing" ellipses that sounded so Jamais vu in relation to meteorites:

Someone else might be interested in comparing the Curiosity bolide in parachuting freefall to the Martian surface - in Google Mars. The exact *Martian* coordinates [using differential MPS 10 meter resolution ;-)] of Curiosity itself imaged, which you can match up with the great HiRise picture from MRO of the parachuting descent of the Curiosity landing ensemble are:

Mars
4°32'52.02"S
137°26'48.63"E

Hopefully the landing site will prove more exotic than those coordinates on Earth 100 years ago. Looks like there are a few bugs to be worked out with latitude and longitude - either that or Curiosity has landed in Indonesia, in the Papua province of the island of New Guinea, in the general area of the cannibals that live in tree houses known as the Korowai. They live in tree house since traditionally those have better protection against the roving headhunters. Such a culture, that until 1970 they believed they were the only humans on Earth... Hopefully the Martians will be better hosts for the human invasion.

Oops, I just changed my Google Earth to Google Mars (simply clicking on the little icon of Saturn on the toolbar and selecting Mars instead of Earth). There are all my waypoints on Mars! I'm currently staying up here in the northern hemisphere on the Labeatis Fossae among the most beautiful craters ;-) Hope someone joins me; it's lonely on Mars, but strikingly beautiful in its own way...

Kindest wishes
Doug