To: "'Meteorite List'" <meteorite-list@meteoritecentral.com>
Sent: Saturday, September 20, 2014 7:49 PM
Subject: [meteorite-list] Papers which may be of interest

Three items which may be of interest.

First, I came across a reference to a paper by M. Littmann and T. Suomela, 'Crowdsourcing, the great meteor storm of 1833, and the founding of meteor science', Endeavour 38(2), 130-138 (2014). Abstract available via http://www.journals.elsevier.com/endeavour/.

Second, it's a while since I posted to the list. Reason - I was working on a paper that was just published in Notes & Records: The Royal Society Journal of the History of Science. Although Irish chemist William Higgins analyzed the Mooresfort and Limerick meteorites, he is best known for his battle with John Dalton over priority for the developoment of the atomic theory. My article "John Dalton and the London atomists" can be accessed by clicking on the article title listed in the FirstCite section in the lower left hand corner of the journal homepage at http://rsnr.royalsocietypublishing.org/. The abstract is availabe for free, as will the article after 1 year - perhaps sooner - if the Royal Society offers free content access as they periodically do. Otherwise it's the library or pay for download for now - no financial benefit for me - such is the world of academic publishing.

Third, regarding Higgins and meteorites, you might want to check out my article published in Notes & Records in 2010 entitled "William Higgins at the Dublin Society", which is available for free download. Go to http://rsnr.royalsocietypublishing.org/ and search under the article title. The Mooresfort meteorite plays an important story in this paper.

Hope to be able to post sooner and pick up on Meteorite Manuscripts where I left off a while ago.

Mark

http://meteoritemanuscripts.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/MetManuscripts
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Meteorite-Manuscripts/152949358073543?v=wall