Yes, counterfeits and fakes are hardly anything new. Some counterfeit Chinese made medications sold in the U.S. market through national chain stores put my mother-in-law in the hospital for several weeks and could have resulted in her death. How about counterfeit batteries that blow up in your face while talking on a cell phone? How about sawdust in your baby formula or rat turds ground into your dog's food?

I remember having to write checks to acquire meteorites from a handful of dealers a few decades ago. I had no concerns whatsoever about about them being fake until around 1998 when a dealer was substituting a DAG Howardite for Kapoeta. This was my first encounter with fraud in meteorites and now it is so common place that some just take it for granted. It is a pretty sad situation.

Just because it is common place doesn't excuse anybody from engaging in the unsavory practice.

Adam