From: Michael Doran via Meteorite-list <meteorite-list@meteoritecentral.com>
To: meteorite-list@meteoritecentral.com <meteorite-list@meteoritecentral.com>
Sent: Wed, Mar 13, 2019 10:07 pm
Subject: [meteorite-list] Meteorite reclassification questions

 As a newbie, I've come to rely pretty heavily on the Meteoritical Bulletin
database for information about particular meteorites as well as to look at
aggregate data for different types.

I've been somewhat surprised to discover that it is not unusual for meteorites
to get reclassified and I was wondering if anybody could tell me how and under
what circumstances a Met Bull entry gets updated to reflect new classification
information.

Ningqiang is a good example of reclassification updates.  The Meteoritical
Bulletin database entry shows that Ningqiang was originally classified as a
CV3, per Meteoritical Bulletin #65 (1987) [1]. Then (if I'm interpreting the
entry correctly) it looks like it was reclassed as a CK3, per the Natural
History Museum's Catalogue of Meteorites, 5th edition (2000).  And a subsequent
reclassification as C3-ung came per the 7th edition of MetBase (2006).

The particular example I had questions about is the entry for Hart, a Texas
meteorite found in 2010 and that was initially classified as a CK3 [2].  CK3 is
a pretty rare carbonaceous chondrite type and Hart was apparently the only
meteorite in the U.S. to get that classification.  However, I recently came
across a scientific paper ("Reclassification of Hart and Northwest Africa 6047:
Criteria for distinguishing between CV and CK3 chondrites" [3]) that appears to
make a persuasive case for Hart being reclassified as a CV3. This paper was
published in 2017, but there is no update yet in the Met Bull entry.

So my questions are:

1) Will the Meteoritical Bulletin database entry for Hart eventually get
updated to reflect a change in classification?

2) What mechanisms (if any) are in place to keep track of these types of
reclassifications and make updates? (From what I've seen, there is a mechanism
for Antarctic meteorites via the Antarctic Meteorite Newsletter. See, for
example AMN item on reclassifications [4] and subsequent Met Bull database
entry update [5].)

3) Is there some body that mediates between competing classification claims?
E.g. what if the original classifier disagrees with a reclassification?

-- Michael

[1] https://www.lpi.usra.edu/meteor/metbull.php?code=16981

[2] https://www.lpi.usra.edu/meteor/metbull.php?code=56555

[3] Dunn, TL, Gross, J. 2017 Reclassification of Hart and Northwest Africa
6047: Criteria for distinguishing between CV and CK3 chondrites. Meteoritics &
Planetary Science 52(11):2412–2423

[4] https://curator.jsc.nasa.gov/antmet/amn/amnfeb10/reclassifications.htm

[5] E.g. for EET 96010 https://www.lpi.usra.edu/meteor/metbull.php?code=9604

Michael Doran