A David NewStory
                                                                             by
Gregory T. Shanos

On January 2, 1990 I received a package from noted meteoritedealer David New.
 I did not rememberordering a  meteorite and proceeded toopen the package.  I
was immediately elated, screaming and jumpingfor joy!  To my surprise it was a
4.6gram fragment with fusion crust of the Murray CM2 carbonaceous chondrite
whichfell on September 20, 1950 in Calloway County, Kentucky.   Iimmediately
called David New and thanked him for the specimen.   I said “the check is in
the mail”.   Mr. New laughed and said I knew you wouldlike it.   David New
stated  “when I obtained the meteorite I immediatelythought of you since you
have a passion for carbonaceous chondrites.   I did not add it to the catalog
and instead immediatelymailed the specimen out to you.”   Thesewere the days
before the internet where there was much trust between a dealerand their
respective collector.    The dealers even knew the specialized typesof
meteorites their collectors preferred.    This is one of my most prized
meteoritessince I never ordered it, the meteorite arrived serendipitously!
The Murray CM2 is similar to the MurchisonCM2 with respect to organic compounds
including extraterrestrially produced.amino acids.

 Fragment  4.6gram  measuring 22mm x 19mm x5mm