----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, July 27, 2003 5:04 AM
Subject: Re: New group name for Olivine Diogenites ( Date corrected )

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, July 27, 2003 1:08 AM
Subject: New group name for Olivine Diogenites

                                     Hi Adam, Greg, and List.
I would like to propose my thoughts to several names for this new meteorite group. Now that NWA 1877 has been determined to be the 5th Olivine-Diogenite along with NWA 1459, ALHA-77252, EETA 79002, and GRA 98108 we all have a chance to express our ideas of naming this new group, which is very exciting. It is to my understanding that the HED group comes from the same parent body most likely the asteroid Vesta.Well how is this so known. It is known through the science of spectroscopy discovered in 1859 by Gustav Robert Kirchhoff and Robert Wilhelm Bunsen.With many thanks to Joeseph von Fraunhofer who observed in the early 1800's that the continous spectrum was marred by over 700 dark lines now called Fraunhofer lines. Lets not forget that the first person to use the technique of spectroscopy to examine celestial objects was William Huggins in 1863, but lets go back to where this truely started and that was in 1666. By one of the most famous scientist of all time. It was Sir Isaac Newton's discovery of the spectrum that all advancements of spectoscopy are the underlying use of this important discovery.It is through Spectroscopy that has helped determine the composition of this HED group to the parent body Vesta, and other meteorite parent bodies such as the asteroids Ceres, Pallas, Hebe, ect. Though these scientists were not directly related to meteorites in general, they have truely layed down the foundation for the study of meteorites today. If not for spectroscopy we would not know where this HED group came from as well as others in the first place. In fact if not for spectroscopy this contest naming this new Olivine-Diogenite group might not well exist!! I feel and it's only my opinion-that this group be named for one of these great scientist's who should be honored for their great achievment in helping today's scientist match parent bodies to many of the meteorite's in our collections at home.So in closing and in order from my first choice to last I propose to call this new group NEWTONITES, then, FRAUNHOFERNITES, then KIRCHOFF-BUNSONITES, and last but not least with special thanks to William Huggins for being the first using the spectroscope toward the heavens. What an honor for him to have this group call HUGGINITES.

                              Thanks all for your time.
                                      Don Merchant