First, thanks to John Gwilliam for the real nice comments and hope there is an idea or two worth discussing in my contribution... just hoping I can still to do some cussing once in a while without any eloquence.  The last post on fraudbusting was an investment of time, mainly for the reasons John cited: a filled up inbox of complaints that I am sympathetic to, but that become tediously repetitive.

Further IŽd like to agree that keeping things positive is probably the nicest message for the IMCA to go.  Let me qualify that by saying I met the IMCA directors by briefly crashing uninvited their quite serious meeting to address recent unrelated issues, in hopes of meeting some new meteorite people, not even being a member, and yet to sell a meteorite in this lifetime.  So the value of my opinion is still as an outsider with no real interest other not to make anyone too irate over what I say and maybe try to make a few like minded friends.

Next, and only second in order because I would prefer to stay positive - it is good for IMCA's image - Ken mentioned ebay policy regarding contacting buyers.  If taken properly out of context, which is assumed, ebay is clearly more worried about preventing potential chaos from dubious messages to buyers in the purchase process and requires a victim to go it alone even when intentions are good.  That seems a bit of a departure from the rules of a real flea market, and probably enough to kill the idea of throwing a wrench into fradulent transactions directly.  But it doesn't mean there the website isn't open to inviting potentiasl victims to learn more and act on fraud one it is confirmed they were and feel victimized.

That seems a better route to go anyway.  So some variation of the strawman letter in my last post appropriately and posted on the IMCA website.  While it is a must to work in the confines of the rules (Drawing the distinction between ebay rules and illegality, keeping in mind who the real suspected offenders are), perhaps an honest variation of a subsequent meek contact might be ok, if it is based on a question of feedback that they left.  I.e., you left positive feedback for "Galaxyglassyhead" yet I have heard from some IMCA members (link imca.org) that this person (not a direct link, but a clear way to link to the complaint page against "Galaxyglassyhead" on the IMCA site) is suspected of selling fakes.  Can you give me any information on your experience with authenticating your item?

Finally, the IMCA, if going that route, can play the same game as ebay:  "While all of our members are in good standing, the organization is not responsible for the comments of the anti fraud squad section of the website, and provides it only as a convenient free service to interchange feedback of potential interest to buyers concerned with authenticity of their purchases.  Comments reflect the opinions of the posters, and IMCA does not permit members in good standing to post knowingly false or misleading feedback. Any member doing so will be expelled and such expulsion documented on this site in "Former Members".

Ken, finally you said:

"This glassface1 can burn some newbies.
However, those burnt will learn of IMCA and ask
for membership."

I wholeheartedly agree with you on this point.  My first "meteorite" purchases were a few rocks from a "suspected" dishonest person: my entire travel budget for that trip - and although that person - a rancher - had no use for a computer, I was burnt just the same.  Call it a rite of passage, I bet this is the rule with most of the list members.  That was $100 embarrassingly well spent on rocks from a cattle ranch for me, because it motivated me to study the subject seriously, buy a microscope and use it, reference books, join this list, and learn a heck of a lot in a short time.  If someone tried to prevent me from touching the hot stove and getting burnt at that first time, I am not sure I would have been overly receptive given that it was the fantasy I was buying and it was real good while it lasted.  I am not even sure  what I would tell the cowboy if I saw him again.  He didn't give me a written guaranty although he expressed HE was sure they were meteorites.  I still have doubts what he knew.  The only painful detail is that I still have the stones and each one has evidence of having been subjected to a streak test before I ever saw them.

I relate this story because it seems appropriate that I recall what mindset I had as a first time buyer and how I would have best been won over by the IMCA as such - definitely not as a policeman ... seems to go against human nature and most importantly developing fun and trust.

Hope not to be too wordy or inconsistent!

Saludos!
Doug