We have lost our humor when we decide there could have been no dog!
Dave (the other dog) Freeman

David Weir wrote:

Hey List,

Since I was allowed to include a copy of Kevin's excellent Nakhla
article with his Nakhla dog explanation on my web site, I just wanted to
say that this doesn't mean that I wholly subscribe to his point of view,
nor to any I've heard so far. Rather, I have my own point of view,
developed with the possible translation problem in mind.

A dog, or some other animal perceived to be a dog from a distance
(raccoon, fox, cat, whatever ?) may have been suddenly startled by
either the falling of a fragment, or by the concusive atmospheric
explosion, and then reflexively darted away so fast that this left the
impression in the mind of the eyewitness that the "dog" quickly left the
scene "leaving it like ashes in the moment". That's my take and I'm
sticking to it (I'm open for further evidence in support or contrariwise)

David