Hey Doug,

I don't know what grapevine you've been smoking, but I highly doubt that the NomCom would accept bribes to get a meteorite deemed "official". Besides, the only way to tell if it's "official" is by looking at the MetBull; as Jeff G. wrote, "If it's not there, it's not an official name, period, no exceptions." He also said the following concerning provisional names: "Also, the journals MAPS and GCA have a policy that should prevent publication of scientific reports on these specimens." I would defer to these statements by the then-acting Editor of the Meteoritical Bulletin, and discount what you heard through the grapevine.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hola Mark, A name is official when you are allowed to use it in a Meteoritical Society publication, right? I would suspect the only way the NomCom is going to give advance approval via magic emails, is if you promise you are working on a peer-reviewed paper for publication in a scientific journal especially MAPS, and need an approved name for your rock, and have the don to convince them. I heard through the grapevine, however, that those magic emails were also available to commercial dealers with no publications, one of the amounts of: an additional 5 grams or 5% type specimen contribution, or $500 to the endowment, as long as it isn't the smallest of the three. Saludos, Doug ______________________________________________