My two bob's worth.
Use what is correct in your own nation or culture or the way that you have been instructed in language. The rest of us will understand what may seem confusing on its own from the the context that it is used in. I use colour and not color, I use Aluminium and not Aluminum, I use orientated and not oriented. If you feel uneasy about a word, choose another, such as, aligned, instead. Some would have the entire language become phonetic or SMS'ed. Some people are not native speakers of English but do a lot better at English, than I would in their language. As
long as the message gets across and you do the best that you can.
I would probably use the word 'nacre' to describe the lustre of a pearl, 'orient' is a new one
on me.
See, I am still learning, as, no doubt we all are. I love this list for that.
A quote that I proudly invented, I think.
"Woe, shall be I the day that I stop learning, for that shall also be the day that I die."
G'day to all, Kevin.