To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <meteorite-list@meteoritecentral.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 2008 12:02 PM
Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] Orientation, the 1000th re-hash

Dave, no problem, I think the attack on you was not
justified, I know that the photo did not show any hint
of orientation, and perhaps more photos would have
been good but a request for more photos or explanation
would have been better. I got a call from Morocco
today at 5 am about a large oriented meteorite, I
yawned and told them to email me photos, oriented and
morrocan-oriented are two very different things. They
now describe everything as oriented. I applaud your
outreach work, I wish I had more time to do some of
those things. The important part of that photo was the
look on that kids face! He was clearly thrilled at
holding a huge meteorite. I never saw a meteorite when
I was a kid.
Michael Farmer
--- Dave Gheesling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Mike and List,
Mike, thanks for getting this debate -- which
emerged for all of the wrong
reasons -- onto some quality ground.  There is
absolutely no doubt that the
term "oriented" is abused and that this is a
problem.  It's great to have
watch dogs out there, but rabid and presumptive dogs
are not much help.  I'd
be curious to hear what you think about the piece in
question when you see
the images I sent you off line (those on my site
were taken quickly and with
bad lighting, as it's a pain to move that piece
around).  There are
certainly degrees of orientation, but -- and this is
important -- a few
seconds of oriented flight is modifying a
pre-existing shape (and these are
obviously not all consistent, thus Lafayette is not
always the result).  Had
I known in advance that this would be such a
sensitive matter, I'd have
either changed the caption (again, the photo had
little at all to do with
the stone itself) or included other images to show
orientation.  Have a
great day, everybody...
Dave