To: "Greg Hupe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <meteorite-list@meteoritecentral.com>
Sent: Monday, November 03, 2008 2:23 PM
Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] Space junk - marine life - shame on NASA

Hi Greg-

This thing was, in fact, deliberately discarded with the knowledge that it would reenter. It posed no risk to anything else because it was large enough to track, in a known orbit, and was sure to have a short lifetime in space. It had no potential to produce any additional debris.

This isn't the first thing they scuttled from the ISS.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com