Steve#3 wrote:
"[not] Anything with HCL or flourine"

Harlan wrote:
"oxaclic acid work like is does when removing red clay stains form quartz crystals?"

Hi Friends,

Just a few thoughts:

Oxalic acid will probably clean some meteoritical residue off any quartz crystals you can find in meteorites.
Oxaclic[sic] acid only gives a good vista with Meteorites for Windows.

Flourine[sic], milk of magnesia and monocynical pigeonite eggs [cum grano salis] are useful in a pinch in the field for starving meteorite hunters trying to eke out a living off the land, so on this I agree with Steve#3.*

Are quartz crystals porous in aqueous solutions?  Are stony meteorites?
Are quartz crystals uniform in composition?  Are stony meteorites?
Is silicon dioxide (=glass, quartz, etc.) inert to these reagents? Are stony meteorites?

I agree it would be nice to be an alchemist, but I think this is far more profound of a science than these posts would suggest, without an academic evaluation of a broad range of chemistry and mineralization processes. I say this because I do not like many "cleaning techniques" I've seen used on metorites just to get some skin-deep aesthetics for a quick sale. In fact, some "cleaning" procedures are based on removing visually contaminated meteorite material and falsely refinishing the surface and representing it as something it is not (losing information on flight markings, etc, which has already been suggested). There are many degrees of misrepresentation and negligence by gurus in cleaning meteorites for personal use, but then passing them along to clueless enthusiastic buyers. Hopefully this is recognized for what it is, just as fake meteorite claims, or clarified with asociated label and hopefully a lower price.

Sic transit gloria astra,
but great health anyways
Doug

PS Ponce de Leon is reputed to have washed his meteorites in Boinca Fountain off Florida, which restored their youthful appearance. Other cynics believe there is no such thing as a fountain of youth, and we should just appreciate all stages of life as equally precious, especially when getting older as challenges become more and more impressive...

*They are good ingredients for meteorite waffles and not good candidates for the next craze poisoning the eBay meteorite quarry. Steve#3's example of my 1860 proof dollar coin that was buried and impregnated in the outback for 30 years doesn't seem to remind me either of stony meteorites or even of a proof coin that has anything suggestive of having been struck on proof dies - so here I disagree with this off-base analogy. Way too many apples to oranges comparisons here (quartz crystals, etc.). Not saying that some insights on the science with merit wouldn't be very interesting, just, so far none have been offered.