I can help with this as this was what our office does in-part: the issuance/request of licenses.

Without a license, one would indeed risk being advised they are unlawfully exploiting copyrighted material.

In the end, it's all about the size of the endeavor and the amount of revenue generated--and to be clear, it would be simplest if it were non-revenue generating. To properly do this, one would advise the content owner of the extent of distribution and expected revenues.