Cc: "Meteorite1" <meteori...@earthlink.net>
Sent: Saturday, January 15, 2011 7:54 PM
Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] Meteorites 101

Meteor, meteorite, and meteoioid:

In response to the American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company, which is reported here to have stated that the object itself may be termed a meteor while in flight through the atmosphere, note that dictionaries are not the authoritative source for what an object is or is not. Dictionaries reflect only common (popular) usage, and if it is not a technical dictionary, more so. I remember being told as a student taking a graduate level course in the History and Development of the English language that dictionaries may be as much as 50 years behind the times in reflecting current usage.

Within the informed scientific community, among those who are meteoriticists, a meteor refers to the light phenomena of the meteoroid while traversing through our atmosphere, and the object itself remains a meteoroid until it strikes the Earth or whatever other astronomical body it intercepts. Then it is referred to a meteorite. Note also the term micro-meteorites. Sometimes these terms are used incorrectly (and sloppily) in a popular, or non-technical sense, usually by the layman (or the news media).

I don't think anyone has or will ever be burned at the stake for referring to a meteoroid as a meteor, unless they are of course one of my former students (joke)! But this is the way I have always seen these terms used when used correctly. This is the way I learned it as a student who received a degree in Astronomy from U.C.L.A. and who studied under one of the world's most respected meteoriticists, Dr. Frederick C.Leonard, who by the way was one of the founders of the Meteoritical Society. (Dr. Leonard was the first Editor of Meteoritics: the Journal of the Meteoritical Society. And, he was a perfectionist with the English Language.) I recall a number of discussions in class over these definitions, such as "what would we call it if we were carrying a basket, and the meteoroid were to land in the basket, rather than hitting the Earth. "Dr. Leonard, would it still be a meteoroid?" (He would respond by clearing his throat with a faint growl, and ignore our question. But we knew he was fond of us!)

Ron Hartman