Unless these guys have gone to a lot of work making a special glass, I would think the fakes could be easily be distinguished from the real things by composition. Moldavites have less than <1% sodium as Na2O whereas green bottle glass has 13-14%. Similarly, green bottle glass (soda-lime glass) has 9-11% calcium as CaO whereas moldavites have 2-3% CaO. Moldavites have 2-3% iron as Fe2O3 and green bottle glass (7 samples I've analyzed) has 0.1-0.7%. One of those hand held XRF guns should be able to see the differences for Ca and Fe (they won't do Na except in vacuum).

Randy Korotev