In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jerry Withers (SAP R/3 SD
Consultant) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It seems that *.138 is missing although I have it configured in Miami. I am
> also getting this:
>
> #23.10.99 15:56:12 MiamiDx-INetD Too many requests for netbios-ns/udp.
> Temporarily shutting down socket.#
> #23.10.99 15:56:42 MiamiDx-INetD Socket for netbios-ns/udp restored.#
> # #
> To top that off my machine has become DOG-SLOW! What am I overlooking here?

Sounds like a problem I had when the "interfaces" line in Samba was not
configured correctly. Samba tried to bind to a socket, could not do so
and looped, and apparently while doing so tried to send UDP packets, and
the response flood then triggered INetD's protection.

Not seeing *.138 in that situation is normal. You won't see it while
INetD has shut down a socket.

What you need to figure out is why nmbd is looping. The first place to
check is the log file, i.e. Samba:log/log.nmb and possibly
Samba:log/log.<hostname>

> Can`t someone come up with an Installer like setup for Samba? This is driving
> me nuts!

There are too many things to change in too many different places for a
normal Installer script to be useful.

--
Holger Kruse   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
               http://www.nordicglobal.com