Folks,

they are several of you hit by the MICO build issue on Linux while using
GNU C++ 4.4.0 release on some Linux distribution (Fedora at least). It
shows as assert while running IDL compiler (during the build compiling
CosNaming.idl):
poa_impl.cc:3589: assertion failed

as a workaround you can either use --disable-optimize configure option,
or better just replace -O2 in MakeVars with -O1. This way you will run
at least with some optimizations on. Simply speaking it looks like GNU
C++ miscompiles MICO. To be honest we have not seen such GNU C++ bug for
years now.

Anyway, I have to add that for example future Ubuntu 9.10 (to be
released in October this year, currently in alpha3 stage) provides GNU
C++ 4.4.1 and this compiler compiles MICO well. I've just tested it on
AMD64 platform. So either blame your OS vendor/community to include "dot
oh" GNU C++ release or update to GNU C++ 4.4.1 somehow.

Cheers,
Karel
--
Karel Gardas                  kgar...@objectsecurity.com