On Nov 30, 2005, at 11:14 PM, Tantek Çelik wrote:

On 11/30/05 4:55 PM, "Ryan King" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Never underestimate the usefulness of human-readable data.

Ryan, this is an excellent point, and I feel like something that needs to be added to that other blog-post-in-progress based on the last discussion of
"The tools will save us" (NOT!) that we had on the list.

There is SO MUCH evidence (like the examples you just gave) for the
usefulness of making data formats be human-readable that it really makes you
wonder why so many otherwise intelligent people keep wanting to do
otherwise.

Well, there is a second distinction here. XML folks would argue that their data is human readable too, and describing the Box Model Hack as human-readable only works for a sufficiently narrow definition of human.

However the key point with using HTML for the microformats, is that everyone has a viewer for the data, so they don't need to parse it by eye, as it were.