Andreas Haugstrup wrote:

Some parsers will still treat that as a single tag, but others will treat it as a hierarchy, and even in those systems treating it as a single tag, I think "software.httpsubscription" suggests a hierarchy to many humans.

It won't be cool for those people who use system that don't see the hierarchy.

I'm not sure what you mean by "won't be cool." It doesn't break any functionality as far as I can tell, and successfully adds functionality for systems that support it (e.g. Foxylicious). People are already using parent.child syntax for tags [1] [2], and it seems to be working just fine.

Why not use two links:

You could, but that doesn't give leave any indication that httpsubscription is meant as a subset of software. Not particularly important in this case, but "politics.green" is quite different from "construction.green" or "color.green".

Peace,
Scott

[1] http://technorati.com/tag/food.cooking
[2] http://del.icio.us/tag/music.pop