On Dec 27, 2005, at 3:43 PM, Tantek Çelik wrote:
This means working deliberately to avoid the two cardinal sins that
namespaces typical both enable and encourage:

1. The same term is used to mean two different things
2. Two terms are used to mean the same things

Indeed. In fact this is one of the advantages of Atom over RSS - resolving ambiguous usage.

In RSS 'description' is used for both summary and full-content feeds.

Atom defines distinct 'summary' and 'content' elements for this

In RSS 'link' is used for both 'entry permalink' and 'external linked element from a brief entry'.

The current "established" microformats have avoided this problem by
essentially reusing from earlier microformats when possible, *before*
reusing from other standards.

E.g. hReview has reused a lot from hCard and hCalendar.

See http://microformats.org/wiki/existing-classes for an overview.

In the case of 'title', Paul is right. hCard (by way of vCard) has defined
'title' to mean something in particular.

In the case of hReview, we used 'summary' from hCalendar to serve this
purpose.

Would it be possible to do so for hAtom as well?

I would say that letting hCard use a bare 'title' to mean 'honorific form of address' was possibly a mistake in retrospect, but it is established.

That said, 'title' is context-defined in Atom - it can mean 'feed title' or 'entry title'.

Replacing this with 'summary' would be a mistake, as that needlessly blurs the summary/content distinction which is important for authors, readers and parsers alike.

I think keeping 'summary' and 'content' are good. hReview's and hCalendar's 'summary' is IMO not really a title in the atom/rss sense, but a one-line abbreviated form.

So I would suggest 'entry-title'.