On Mar 27, 2006, at 3:40 PM, jer wrote:

Boy, once Doc gets a hold of something... I was going to send out a little note here asking for some feedback, but it's gone full circle already :)

Anyway, MicroID isn't exactly a microformat all by itself but it can be expressed in conjunction with one. It's really just an opaque but verifiable owner token, allowing anyone to point at something and say "that's mine" which can be verified by using their email address (or any supported communication identifier).

I'm not sure how useful an email address is as a shared secret. If you use a publicly-known one, anyone who knows it can spoof your signature; if you use a unique address per service then you need multiple microid's.

The itch I'm scratching is two part, I'm tired of having to put some button or javascript code (or upload a funky named empty file) on my blog/site to verify that I have editorial control over it. This practice is becoming more and more common, and the technology to do this once and for all isn't brain surgery.

Your long hash reminds me of the original Technorati claiming model, which was a hash of the user ID and blog URL, which I deprecated as the ID's were too long and cumbersome to send around easily - urls with them in tended to get wrapped in email, so people ended up making their blog invalid by adding a url with a newline in the middle, and my parser had to cope with that.

Hence we went to a 10-character randomly-assigned ID model, as the ID is not guessable.

As Chris said on his blog, the bidirectionally-verified rel="me" is a sounder way to do this - see http://gmpg.org/xfn/and/

The second part is to have a MicroID published with a "score" microformat (well really just class='score' unless someone has a better idea) that is wrapped around any comment or content published on a moderated system. If I get modded up and have a good reputation on that system, why can't there be a solid technical way for me to verify my reputation (or just a bag of all my scores) to anyone that cares? If these moderated systems publish a simple MicroID with the score output, it makes my reputation portable as much as I want it to be.

As your model is spoofable if I know your email, I'm not sure what this gains for you over showing the ID or email directly in the moderated system.