On Apr 6, 2006, at 5:25 AM, Danny Ayers wrote:

I'm not sure I understand why Matt suggests XML data might have to be
delivered as both XML and escaped as well, but he gets into
browser/DOM territory, a place presumably well-known around this list
- thoughts appreciated.

I don't understand everything Matt says, but what I do know might help: browsers use different DOMs, with different functionality, for XML or HTML. The HTML DOM is generally easier to use, sometimes even for XML data. For example, if you treat XHTML as XML, you can't use most getElementsByClassName() functions on it, which makes parsing microformats much more difficult. But if you just dump the raw text of the same XML in the .innerHTML of some HTML node (even one that isn't in the document tree), you can use the full range of HTML DOM functions on it.

Peace,
Scott