On May 1, 2006, at 5:59 PM, Tantek Çelik wrote:

The problem with AppleScript is that it is actually not that
readable/writable (even in English *by* native English readers).
AppleScript has a superficial resemblance/reuse of English terms which makes it look a lot easier than it actually is (AppleScript is *very* picky about
specific language constructs).

I find Applescript to be a read-only language, much as regex is a write-only one.

  This is in stark contrast with the language
which inspired it, HyperTalk, which is quite easy to both read and write, and as with natural langauges, provides multiple ways of saying the same
thing and having it just work.  I don't know if HyperTalk was ever
localized.

I don't think so, though one of my early projects wiht it circa '89 involved extensive use of others routines in french and italian with corresponding variable names.

microformats-discuss (as Ryan so well demonstrated this being a problem far
outside the realm of microformats) and thus I suggest that we drop this
thread "Language Maps" and add it to the list of "bad topics" on the
mailing-lists page.

One minor thought before we go - I can envisage a javascript that used the abbr date-pattern to replace dates with user-local ones in the content, while retaining the machine-friendly ones in the abbr.