Edward O'Connor wrote:

James Craig wrote:

Requiring a restful URL for rel-tag (though the ideal solution) is
expecting a lot more of a µf author than requiring authors to add a
bit of markup.

While properly implementing a tag space may be slightly more
difficult[1] than other methods for some developers or organizations, I
think the benefits far, far outweigh the cost.

I'm not arguing that, and I certainly agree. I'm asking about an acceptable fallback for those few circumstances where implementing a tag space is technically–or more likely, politically–not an option.

James Craig wrote:

Practical alternative for some cases (using title value):
<a rel="tag" title="tagName" href="/ theOtherDevelopersHideouslyComplexUrl.extension? queryJunk=tagName">text</a>

If the ugly URL isn't enough of an explanation, consider that front-end developers make up a majority of the converts in the area of web standards. It is not unthinkable that a front-end developer would want to implement rel-tag even when the server- side developer is unwilling to implement a restful URL. There ought to be a markup fallback.

Thanks,
James