In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Paul Wilkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

  <abbr class="type" title="fax">Téléc</abbr>.:

This thread is going in circles, On 12 March, I wrote, having suggested
the same possibility, that:

       ...there are concerns that that's an abuse of "abbr".

I think that abuse is too strong a term for what's happening here.

There is historical evidence that in the case of microformats, such a thing is allowed.

1) Please cite "historical evidence" of *different-language* abbr content and titles being used.

2) That an HTML element is being used in a particular way "in the case of microformats" does not mean that it is not an abuse of what was originally intended by the relevant HTML standard.

--
Andy Mabbett
                 <http://www.pigsonthewing.org.uk/uFsig/>

                    Welcome to the world's longest week!