I have to second this one as well.

In fact I blogged about this some time ago:

http://napsterization.org/stories/archives/000583.html

nicely of course, but the reality was that for 2 years, I got slammed and treated badly by the folks who started it, and then once I made them sit down and explain the process, I was able to follow the rules. But it was harsh. Many people commented privately to me after the two blog posts on process that it helped them a lot because they had the same experience.

I don't see why hazing helps the process. You can have high standards without being mean.

mary