In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Manu Sporny <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

Alternatively, money could be a subset of "hMeasure", with ISO 4217
codes as units:

          <abbr class="currency" title="USD">$</abbr>

It could be... but I'd rather not go down the hMeasure route until examples have been collected. We have enough examples for currency via hAudio to come up with the first draft of currency. Perhaps in the future, currency will be a subset of hMeasure... but that is getting ahead of ourselves.

I think it's an either/ or choice; not one of "do one now them incorporate it in the other".

   *    sub-divisions (cents, pennies, etc.)

I think we should, perhaps, set aside archaic currencies for now.

+1 - no need to address archaic currencies right now... don't even know if regular publishers even mark up these figures. Do we have any non-niche examples of that happening?

Yes (for some value of "non-niche").

It may even be necessary, for the first draft, to also set aside the use
of subdivisions.

I think the currency-issues page has a good proposal for how we deal with subdivisions[1]. I'm fine with setting this aside for right now, but I think it something that could be agreed upon within a week or two.

Since writing the above, I've made another post addressing this; there are issues relating to abbr-accessibility; I'd like to see the latter resolved, but fear how long that will take...

--
Andy Mabbett