In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Justin Maxwell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

On Oct 14, 2007, at 12:10 PM, Andy Mabbett wrote:

What do you mean by "there is no 'track' in data"?

I thought we created microformats by looking at evidence, not
considering personal opinions and supposition about what may be
understood at dome unknown point in the future.

and i thought i was helping define a microformat, not practicing my skill in public debate. so, we're even. :)

Given that this is a debate, carried out in public, I can't see why you were under the misapprehension that you're not doing both.

moving on...

"there is no 'track' in data." I wrote that thinking it was self- explanatory and obvious, so, sorry if it seemed too abstract. a "track" refers to a physically demonstrable "track" in a recording medium, whether that track is a set of continuous grooves divided by physical markers, or a series of sectors on a CD/DVD divided by start and end markers. In short, "track" is a term reserved for physical, tangible media.

And now used to refer to a song or other piece of music. We're concerned with current usage, not etymology.

If people refer to a songs or other recording as a "track" - as the
evidence [1] shows they do - then we should use that.

[1] -   <http://tinyurl.com/yvekd2>
        <http://tinyurl.com/ywg8qu>
        <http://tinyurl.com/2kq96z>

good point!  however, people also refer to items as "songs,"

Some tracks are songs, others are not. All songs, though, are tracks.

but a google search on "'spoken word' songs" (and similar variations of non- musical recorded genres, such as "audiobook +songs") gives evidence that popular usage is incorrect as well.

I don't see what it is, that leads you to that conclusion.

So it's easy to find evidence of people using both "track" and "song," but neither are correct. If we have the opportunity to define a standard, why not go with one -- "item" -- that is universally correct?

Because it's semantically barren.

--
Andy Mabbett