Orginal message sent from Larry Conrad and Nils on 11/2/2015.

Cyber Security Awareness Training
Inbox
Nils Gilman Associate Chancellor Chief of Staff Interim LDO <
calmessa...@berkeley.edu>
11/2/15
to Faculty;

*(sent on behalf of Associate Chancellor and Berkeley Cyber-Responsible
Executive, Nils Gilman, Associate Vice Chancellor for IT and Chief
Information Officer, Larry Conrad, and Assistant Vice Chancellor - Human
Resources and Chief Human Resources Officer, Jeannine Raymond)*

Dear Colleagues:

*What is happening?*
As part of system-wide efforts to address the increasing threats to the
security of our information systems and data, on display in a variety of
data breaches which have happened across the system in recent months, a
comprehensive securityawareness training program is being rolled out for
all UC staff and faculty. Each member of the University community has a
responsibility to safeguard the information assets entrusted to us. At UC
Berkeley, phishing attacks and stolen CalNet credentials remain the top
threats to our individual and institutional online security. We need
greater awareness and vigilance by each member of the campus community to
reduce these and other key exposures to the security and privacy of our
data and systems.

*What do I need to do?*
Starting Monday, November 2nd, all employees on payroll with active status
will be required to complete the Cyber SecurityAwareness Training. The
training must be completed by January 31st, 2016 and within 6 weeks for any
subsequent new hires. This will be required annually.

*Where is training available?*
This training is video based, and delivered online through our UC Learning
Center’s website. You will receive an email notification soon with
instructions on how to access the training. Each module will focus on a
specific security topic, conclude with three questions to test
comprehension, and overall the training should take approximately 50
minutes to complete in total.

*Why do I need to do this?*
This training program will better prepare all of us to fulfill this
responsibility and to strengthen our defenses against future attacks.
Studies have shown that a substantial number of cyber attacks involve the
unintended actions of users of information systems, and this risk can be
significantly lowered through an effective security awareness training
program.

Protecting our data and information systems is a shared responsibility of
us all. I am confident that together we will develop a strong culture of
defense against cyber-risk.

*Questions?*
For more detail on information security resources please visit UC
Berkeley’s Information Security and Policy website
<https://security.berkeley.edu/>. AFrequently Asked Questions webpage
<http://hrweb.berkeley.edu/cyber-security-training-faq> can also be
accessed through the HR website.

Sincerely,

Nils Gilman
Berkeley Cyber-Responsible Executive,
Associate Chancellor and
Chief of Staff to the Chancellor

Larry Conrad
Associate Vice Chancellor for IT and
Chief Information Officer

Jeannine Raymond
Assistant Vice Chancellor - Human Resources and
Chief Human Resources Officer

*If you are a manager who supervises UC Berkeley employees without regular
email access, please circulate this information to all.*

*Please do not reply to this message*