Hi,

I believe I've fixed my problem (see below for my original report), so,
for the record, I figured I'd say something about my resolution, in case
anyone's interested.

It seems that my iTunes *iBooks* repository (for my iPad only) had
become corrupted.  About a couple of weeks ago I added some PDFs to
*iBooks* on my iPad, which I had never done before.   In the course of
doing this, I found that *iBooks*, unfortunately, doesn't allow renaming
a document, so, in order to change the name of one particular file, I
wound up deleting and then uploading the same document under different
names, or different versions of the document under the same name.
Eventually, I noticed that iTunes continued to show several versions of
the document, some with the same name and some with other names, /even
after I'd deleted all of them from my iPad/.  I didn't know much about
*iBooks* and how "syncing" of books worked, but I soon discovered that
my book collection (including the aforementioned PDFs) resides in the
Apple Store.  So, I deleted all he spurious entries from there.

But this still didn't get rid of the Error -54 problem when syncing my
iPad.  Finally, I decided to turn off syncing of books altogether, which
causes all books to be removed from the iPad (but they're still left in
the Store).  Then I reinstated book syncing, which caused all my
selected books to be downloaded to the iPad again (via iTunes).
Apparently this cleaned up the iTunes *iBooks* repository and the Error
-54 message went way!  I have now done several regular backups and syncs
of my iPad and I no longer get the error message, so I figure the
problem is gone.

Thanks to Aron Roberts for the suggestions he sent me by private mail.
Although none of the various recommendations to which Aron referred me
turned out to be fixes for the problem, following them probably cleaned
up some things in iTunes and, in any case, ruled out possible causes of
the problem, forcing me to look elsewhere.

Mike

--
Mike Friedman
mi...@berkeley.edu