Peter Eckersley from the EFF gave a talk today on campus, see
https://events.berkeley.edu/index.php/calendar/sn/eecs.html?event_ID=97050

He suggested running the Https Everywhere plugin
(https://www.eff.org/https-everywhere) in Firefox, Chrome and Opera.

He also suggested Tor.

Personally, I'm hesitant to promote Tor, but it also seems that in light
of the recent UCOP activity, more people will want to know more about
Tor.  It would be helpful if there was some guidance that we could
provide people about why they do or don't want to run Tor. For example,
the knowledge base at https://kb.berkeley.edu/search.php?q=Tor has nothing.

Another alternative is for groups and departments to break away from the
campus backbone.  This also has risks.  Guidance here would be helpful
as well.

I've been converting various websites that I mange to be full time https
and I reinstalled Https Everywhere

My guess is that this incident will blow over, the hardware will
continue to stay installed and running.

In other news, until it was corrected, the examiner.com article had the
July break in being at UC Berkeley, not UCLA.

_Christopher

On 2/1/16 6:57 PM, jon kuroda wrote:
> http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/02/technology/at-ucla-a-new-digital-privacy-protest.html
>
> (Yes, the URL says 'UCLA", but it is about Berkeley.  Go Bears!)
>
> At Berkeley, a New Digital Privacy Protest
>
> --Jon
>
> On Sat, Jan 30, 2016 at 02:34:34PM -0800, jon kuroda wrote:
>> http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/matier-ross/article/Cal-professors-fear-UC-bosses-will-snoop-on-them-6794646.php
>>
>> This blogpost I found seems to cover some more details:
>> http://utotherescue.blogspot.com/2016/01/ucop-ordered-spyware-installed-on-uc.html

>> visit the Micronet Web site:
>>
>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>
>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and
>> the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means
>> these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective
>> employers, and people who have known you in the past.
>>
>> ANNOUNCEMENTS: To send announcements to the Micronet list, please use the
>> micronet-annou...@lists.berkeley.edu list.

> visit the Micronet Web site:
>
> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the
> list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means
> these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective
> employers, and people who have known you in the past.
>
> ANNOUNCEMENTS: To send announcements to the Micronet list, please use the
> micronet-annou...@lists.berkeley.edu list.

Academic Program Manager & Software Engineer  US Mail: 337 Cory Hall
CHESS/iCyPhy/Ptolemy/TerraSwarm               Berkeley, CA 94720-1774
c...@eecs.berkeley.edu, 707.332.0670           (Office: 545Q Cory)