I think you're on the right track.  If you copy everything you said,
that should bring you close enough to a working state that you can fix
the rest by careful reading of the error messages you'll get.
Here's what I would worry about: (1) is there anything important in
the registry (doubt it) and (2) are there full paths being stored in
config files somewhere, instead of relative paths?  (I doubt it, but
if there are, then the fact that you have different usernames will
bite you.)
Have you considered MikTeX Portable?  Or is that too close to
"starting from scratch"?