On 2015-2-17 18:19 , John Von Essen wrote:
> I have two filtering gateways, on a public WAN, they receive the raw
> email, filter it, then relay it to my main mail server - which also
> sits on the same WAN. All three machines are publicly accessible and
> running no firewall. For performance reasons, I’d like to not run a
> software firewall on the mail server.

Erm... what sort of "performance reason" is that? Sendmail happily forks for
every incoming connection, thinking "oh joy it's another email, that's probably
important so I'd better fork". Anything you do afterwards to reject the
connection is going to be very costly because of the fork, no matter how you
solve it.

Doing the same with iptables is practically a no-brainer for the kernel. Simply
drop the SYN packet. Software firewalls do not put a big load on servers,
unless you're doing something silly (eg: do not use connection tracking. You
wouldn't need to in this case).

Or as others have suggested, use rfc1918 non-routable IP space on a separate
vlan interface to shield your internal mail server.

--
Jan-Pieter Cornet <joh...@xs4all.nl>
"Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice."