On Wed, 11 Mar 2015, vi...@openmailbox.org wrote:
On 2015-03-10 20:20, vi...@openmailbox.org wrote:
Hi,

I noticed that a decade ago some users detected "Wide character in
print" messages in their mimedefang logs.
It was supposedly fixed by adding

export LC_ALL=C

in the mimedefang init script.

(perl unicode issue)

However, my Linux distro (Gentoo) runs the following in the mimedefang
init script:

LC_ALL=C
export LC_ALL

but I'm occasionally getting the "Wide character in print" messages.

I'm running v 2.75 and Perl 5.18.2.

Any ideas?

Hi again,

Just wanted to add that I modified /usr/bin/mimedefang.pl for debugging purposes:

/usr/bin/mimedefang.pl:

sub action_notify_sender ($) {
[...]
   if (open(FILE, ">>NOTIFICATION")) {
<------>md_syslog('err', "action_notify_sender print FILE $msg");
[...]

If I check the logs, this is what I get (basically I have a custom filter which calls action_notify_sender with the name of each attached file):

action_notify_sender print FILE Composicioƌ..pdf

So mimedefang and perl are choking on non-ASCII characters with "Wide character in print" messages.

Unfortunately the consequence of all this is that some e-mail messages aren't processed and are kept in the queue and not sent:

Mar 11 18:19:38 mail1 mimedefang-multiplexor[31444]: A0C4A326EB1: Slave 1 stderr: open body: Invalid argument at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.18.2/MIME/Entity.pm line 1878.

Could you post your filter?

Mar 11 18:19:38 mail1 mimedefang-multiplexor[31444]: Slave 1 died prematurely -- check your filter rules

- -- Steffen Kaiser