2013/4/2 Baruch Burstein <bmburst...@gmail.com>

> Can you explain the difference from your "regular" builds? Does
> std::thread not work with them? If I use std::thread, do I need to
> link/distribute any additional libraries? Or are there special licenses
> issues?
> In short: Why 2 separate builds?

std::thread (and other stuff like <mutex>) only works on the builds labeled
"stdthread'. The difference is that gcc is built based on the posix
threading model using the winpthreads library. The result is a libstdc++
that has multithreading functionality. The affected headers are <thread>,
<mutex>, <condition_variable>, and <future>. <atomic> has always worked and
will continue to work without posix threading.

You will need to additionally distribute the winpthreads dll if you do not
link statically. There are no licensing issues, as the winpthreads code is
placed in the Public Domain in the same way the rest of the MinGW-w64
headers and crt are.

The two builds are incompatible due to the difference in libgcc. All code
has to be recompiled with the same toolchain.

I have two builds because currently enabling posix threading (like in the
std::thread builds) makes libgcc depend on winpthreads. This is not a
problem for most people, but it does make even C code not using pthreads
that depends on libgcc (pretty much all code compiled by gcc depends on
libgcc), depend on winpthreads as well.

Ruben