There is no “printf” builtin in mksh. It can be added as a speed hack, but this
is discouraged, and the user has to provide the code (printf.c) themselves,
although it can be taken from MirBSD.
Similarily, making “echo” external will slow down things. (Do note that mksh
has no less than three “echo” implementations and, when called as “mksh” (not
in sh or posix mode), offers the best one.)

“better” is relative. But let’s not argue this particular point.

I fail to see how you can make “killÌ” or “sleep” better… mksh’s offers
100% of the functionality commonly found (including sub-second sleep).

“pwd” and “ulimit” must be builtins.

We already defer to external utilities for both “cat” and (new in R53)
“realpath” if called with an option, any option. (The “cat” builtin
does, however, support the POSIX ‘-u’ flag.)

Please see the dot.mkshrc file shipped with the distribution for an
implementation of the “enable” utility from GNU bash, which can be used to
enable/disable using the built-in utilities or external ones. (The builtin is
still available via “\builtin cat”, etc.) but take my advice to be careful with
this — users don’t normally need, nor do, this.
After all, one of the strengths of mksh is that it behaves consistent across
platforms.

** Changed in: mksh

--
You received this bug notification because you are a member of mksh

Title:
  should have compile-time options to disable mksh builtins

Status in mksh:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  builtins such as cat, echo, kill, pwd, realpath, ulimit, and sleep
  often have better implementations available on the platform.

  some builtins (printf, say) do have compile-time options to disable
  them, but the ones listed above don't. it would be nice to have an
  "official" way to disable these rather than maintain a local patch.