On Sat, 2024-02-10 at 14:10 -0500, J Doe wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have configured OpenSMTPD to make use of: filter-dnsbl:
>
>      /etc/mail/smtpd.conf
>          . . .
>      filter check_abusix proc-exec "filter-dnsbl -v
>          <key>.black.mail.abusix.zone" user _dnsbl group _dnsbl
>          . . .
>      filter port_25_filters  chain { check_rev_DNS, check_spamhaus,
> check_abusix... }
>
> ...however, if I try either the combined DNSBL from Abusix or the black
> DNSBL from Abusix, it will reject mail from Hotmail as well as e-mail
> that is hosted via 1&1's e-mail service.
>
> The man page for filter-dnsbl mentions Abusix, so I am assuming it
> supports it, but why would this be happening ?  It seems like all
>
> Does anyone else make use of Abusix and see this behaviour ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> - J

I don't use abusix myself. Some time ago someone pointed out to me
that keys were part of the address and thus popped up in the logs and
return codes. For the providers that are known to have keys I've
implemented a hardcoded way of stripping the key itself. Other than
that they have no special treatment in filter-dnsbl.

If you're sure these servers aren't listed it might be possible that
they return some special whitelist status. To keep filter-dnsbl simple
all answers are interpreted at listed.

martijn@