--On 02 June 2005 20:07 +1000, Brian McKerr wrote:

I am thinking of getting one (or two) of these for my new firewall,
just curious if nayone has any opinions on its suitability in such a
role. Spec as follows;

They are nicely-built machines and don't skimp on the cooling: you probably don't want to be listening to those fans all the time, though - not really the ideal box for a firewall at home or a small office ;-)

64bit 360mhz CPU (IIi)
128mb RAM
1 x 18gb 10krpm
2 x integrated NIC
1x PCI (which I intend to put a dual port compaq/intel NIC in)

I have a T1 105, I don't know if it's a problem with my particular machine or a more general one, but I've tried to use hifn and em in the PCI slot - cards get detected OK, but don't actually work - I don't know whether or not it's a hardware problem so haven't looked into it much (especially as I don't actually need them). Might work for you, but I'm not sure I'd buy one if you're counting on this unless you can test it first (you can fairly easily setup a portable computer to allow you to netboot an OpenBSD bsd.rd if you want to try this out).

Lastly, does anyone know if these have a 40 pin IDE connector for the
optional CDROM and if so do you reckon it would be able to boot from
a compact flash ?

I haven't tried CF, but n.b.:-

1. The CDROM connector on the T1 is 44-pin. There are no PC-style power sockets available - the CDROM is powered from the extra pins straight from the motherboard - HDs use a non-PC-style connector into the SCA backplane - so you'll either need to butcher the cables, or use a CF adapter specifically designed for connnecting to 44-pin (as you might find for a laptop). If it's got a 44-pin socket on the adapter, it will need to be right-angled and may obstruct the PCI slot. If it's got pins, you'll need a suitable cable, leading me onto ...

2. There's a mechanical locking mechanism on the plug. I was thinking of trying a 2.5" HD as additional storage, but the only 44-44-pin lead I had available is from a Soekris, which does not fit into the T1's socket. I have a 44-40-pin lead which does connect, though it doesn't lock in place firmly. It's usually enough trouble to even get 44-pin cables, it's not often possible to be too fussy about them... Having said that, it's a good connection, but a lot easier to accidentally disconnect the connector from the motherboard than you'd expect for an IDE connector.

As a test, I have just connected a junk 3.5" IDE drive (with a separate PSU and 44-40 pin lead), disklabel/newfs, cp bsd.rd, installboot, and booted successfully - so, there is nothing that should stop a CF from booting if you can physically connect it.

ok probe-ide
 Device 0  ( Primary Master )
        Not Present

 Device 1  ( Primary Slave )
        Not Present

 Device 2  ( Secondary Master )
         ATA Model: WDC AC28400R

 Device 3  ( Secondary Slave )
        Not Present

ok devalias
cdrom1                   /[EMAIL PROTECTED],0/[EMAIL PROTECTED],1/[EMAIL
PROTECTED]/[EMAIL PROTECTED],0:f
cdrom                    /[EMAIL PROTECTED],0/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/[EMAIL
PROTECTED]/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/[EMAIL PROTECTED]:f
ide-disk                 /[EMAIL PROTECTED],0/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/[EMAIL
PROTECTED]/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/[EMAIL PROTECTED]:f
ide-cdrom                /[EMAIL PROTECTED],0/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/[EMAIL
PROTECTED]/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/[EMAIL PROTECTED]:f
ide                      /[EMAIL PROTECTED],0/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/[EMAIL
PROTECTED]/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
userprom2                /[EMAIL PROTECTED],0/[EMAIL PROTECTED],1/[EMAIL
PROTECTED]/[EMAIL PROTECTED],800000
userprom1                /[EMAIL PROTECTED],0/[EMAIL PROTECTED],1/[EMAIL
PROTECTED]/[EMAIL PROTECTED],400000
i2c-cs2                  /[EMAIL PROTECTED],0/[EMAIL PROTECTED],1/[EMAIL
PROTECTED]/[EMAIL PROTECTED],100000
i2c                      /[EMAIL PROTECTED],0/[EMAIL PROTECTED],1/[EMAIL
PROTECTED]/[EMAIL PROTECTED],600000
systemprom               /[EMAIL PROTECTED],0/[EMAIL PROTECTED],1/[EMAIL
PROTECTED]/[EMAIL PROTECTED],0
pcic                     /[EMAIL PROTECTED],0/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/[EMAIL
PROTECTED]
pcib                     /[EMAIL PROTECTED],0/[EMAIL PROTECTED],1
pcia                     /[EMAIL PROTECTED],0/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
ebus                     /[EMAIL PROTECTED],0/[EMAIL PROTECTED],1/[EMAIL
PROTECTED]
ok boot /[EMAIL PROTECTED],0/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/[EMAIL
PROTECTED]/[EMAIL PROTECTED]:f
Boot device: /[EMAIL PROTECTED],0/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/[EMAIL
PROTECTED]/[EMAIL PROTECTED]:f  File and args:
OpenBSD IEEE 1275 Bootblock 1.1
..>> OpenBSD 3.7 (obj) #0: Sun Mar 20 09:46:56 MST 2005

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/src/sys/arch/sparc64/stand/ofwboot/obj
: trying bsd...
Booting /[EMAIL PROTECTED],0/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/[EMAIL
PROTECTED]/[EMAIL PROTECTED],0:f/bsd
[EMAIL PROTECTED]@[EMAIL PROTECTED]
symbols @ 0xfff4a200 42 start=0x1000000
No alarm was installed for f0057428
console is /[EMAIL PROTECTED],0/[EMAIL PROTECTED],1/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/[EMAIL
PROTECTED],3803f8
Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993
The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved. Copyright (c) 1995-2005 OpenBSD. All rights reserved. http://www.OpenBSD.org

OpenBSD 3.7 (RAMDISK) #344: Sun Mar 20 14:38:37 MST 2005

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/src/sys/arch/sparc64/compile/RAMDISK
total memory = 1073741824
avail memory = 972546048
using 6553 buffers containing 53682176 bytes of memory
bootpath: /[EMAIL PROTECTED],0/[EMAIL PROTECTED],0/[EMAIL PROTECTED],0/[EMAIL
PROTECTED],0/[EMAIL PROTECTED],0:f
mainbus0 (root): Netra t1 (UltraSPARC-IIi 440MHz)
cpu0 at mainbus0: SUNW,UltraSPARC-IIi @ 440.048 MHz, version 0 FPU
cpu0: physical 32K instruction (32 b/l), 16K data (32 b/l), 2048K external (64 b
/l)
psycho0 at mainbus0 addr 0xfffc0000
[ ... ]
pciide0: using ivec 1802 for native-PCI interrupt
pciide0: channel 0 disabled (no drives)
wd0 at pciide0 channel 1 drive 0: <WDC AC28400R>
wd0: 16-sector PIO, LBA, 8063MB, 16514064 sectors
wd0(pciide0:1:0): using PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2
[ ... ]