Hello!

On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 02:28:25PM +0300, Genadijus Paleckis wrote:
>[...]

>>>Is that means that 3.8 might be unstable ? Maybe all who wants/needs
>>>stable systems need to run 3.7 ?

>well, from base system side I gues it will be minimal problems, but what
>about ports ? because almost everyone using it.

The very most things just work for me. Base, X11, applications like
firefox or gaim, own C/C++ code.

A few things that get bitten are some packages doing their own and very
different memory management, but can't avoid malloc altogether.

That is ports/lang/clisp, that seems to be also gprolog, according to
Marc Espie. I'd guess it'll also bite sbcl/cmucl (but there's no current
port [neither in the sense of /usr/ports, nor in the sense of a 3rd
party package] of cmucl for OpenBSD anyway).

Some other things are not bitten in the same way, even though they do
have different memory management. Including ghc, probably also SML/NJ
(own build as of Jul 12, using libc 38.1, wasn't mmap-based malloc +
mmap randomization in there already?).

I *am* a bit sad about the fact that there're no running Lisp
implementations for OpenBSD at all in the moment, but I don't have the
energy to contribute own effort to change this, and it's not *that* high
priority for me.

I think Theo's (and other core developers') decision to release 3.8 with
those malloc/mmap changes in is good overall.

Kind regards,

Hannah.