I wondered that as well, but there appear to be lots (so it appears from other
postings I found using google) of 4801s in use with OpenBSD, doing essentially
the same thing as myself (Soekris w/ carp/pf/pfsynch).  Yet, AFAICT, I'm the
only one who's posted about this symptom.  Since there are lots of people who
do
what I do, and if the problem were indeed that the 4801 processor is too wimpy,
then wouldn't there be more problems like mine mentioned in the lists?  And I'm
running into high interrupts with only about 4Mbs throughput while others have
claimed much higher values.

Before I used this firewall that I have now, I used m0n0wall on FreeBSD.  I
chose OpenBSD over m0n0wall/FreeBSD due to m0n0wall state table limitations and
lack of mature redundance features.  But the m0n0wall handled this much
traffic,
and more, with a relatively low interrupt mode.  As widely as OpenBSD is used
on
Soekris for firewalling compared to m0n0wall/FreeBSD with relatively few
problems, I'm still not quite ready to decide that I haven't gotten myself a
setup flaw somewhere.  Just can't figure out where it could be.

Bill

--
William Bloom| Snr Systems Engineer|M P H A S I S Architecting Value | Eldorado
Computing

Fax: +11-602-604-3115| http://www.eldocomp.com

-- CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE --

Information transmitted by this e-mail is proprietary to MphasiS and/or its
Customers and is intended for use only by the individual or entity to which it
is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or
recipient or it appears that this mail has been forwarded to you without proper
authority, you are notified that any use or dissemination of this information
in any manner is strictly prohibited. In such cases, please notify us
immediately at [EMAIL PROTECTED] and delete this mail from your records.