On 12/01/11 02:28, John Tate wrote:
I think I've found a bug in the OpenBSD crowd. They bug the hell out of me
and my little mistakes.

I am not talking about people who actually have a solution, but I can't
seem to ask anything on this list without parrots coming along picking on
me. I think some people just hang out here because it's the most anal bunch
of hackers ever, in recorded history. What are your experiences?

Is it true that occasionally we attract people who either love bullying or
are just lazy and pretending to be one of the clever?

It just figures some of these people sit on the list, and email you poorly
researched crap with no answers contain.

If you hate a question, it truly doesn't belong, bug me.

But if you just can't answer a question, ignore it.

John Tate.

Note: Yes, it's not my list.

John, if you don't mind, I'll give you some advice: Do your homework before posting to the list. Your basic instinct is to click "Send" instead of thinking first. I've lost count of how many of your posts were retracted by yourself, with a big "oops, my bad" or were replied to with RTFM-type responses. I got a kick out of one retraction where you said something like "Sorry, I was drunk."

You're obviously new here. Sure, it's a tough crowd at times, but that only happens when people don't bother reading the FAQ, or the man pages, or trying things out for themselves. A lot of people have asked "stupid" questions or said something "dumb" -- myself included -- and got painful responses. I've had my share of facepalm experiences and had my ass handed to me plenty of times, but I deserved it.

But you know what? I try to not make a regular occasion of it. It seems you do.

I help a lot of people off-list, and I know for a fact many others do the same. I've found through years of experience there are two kinds of people on this list: those that need a little help and pointed in the right direction, and those that need their hands held for every step. Guess which category I put you in? And that's exactly why I've helped you a grand total of zero times.

Now you have the gall to come on this list and insult the people that are trying to help you. I don't think there's anyone on this list that sits idly, waiting for an opportunity to "pick on" or "bully" someone. Get a grip, get some thicker skin, and most of all, RTFM first.

I guarantee that if you take my advice, you'll find this list to be a very, very valuable resource. Remember, there is a difference between *reading* and *comprehension*. Work a little harder on the latter and I think you'll find you won't be "picked on".

Stop playing the victim.  You're not the first and it's old.

--
Scott McEachern

https://www.blackstaff.ca