I use OpenOffice for editing html pages. this makes editing web pages
remarkably easy for me. Believe me, editing raw html is a real pita. so, if I
want to properly edit a man page, I need to use something that supports DOC 7?
that wood be nice to have on my OS X system.

Here's a really funny point. I have been getting told that command line
systems are obsolete and that everyone is going to the GUI (be it windows, OS
X or some other). yet most of these systems still depend on some command line
experience. Frankly, I would rather use a command line based system that is
already security hardened (OpenBSD). that would leave out a lot of overhead.

someone else mentioned using VI for a command line editor. thats definitely an
oldie but still very powerful. I prefer the use of nano myself.  its not as
powerful but can do what I need it to do with a minimum of fuss.

here are some links about blindness and using OpenBSD.
this first one is from 2006 from the OpenBSD Journal:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=braille+screenreader+OpenBSD&source=we
b&cd=1&ved=0CKIEEBYwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fundeadly.org%2Fcgi%3Faction%3Darticle
%26sid%3D20061011142519&ei=dIYSUP3sDoyq8ASW94HwAg&usg=AFQjCNHFOzU5dYwJpVG4bPI
ohqKaxdY1bg

here is something from this list some time ago. this link indicates the trials
and tribulations of making OpenBSD work with a braille display:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=braille+screenreader+OpenBSD&source=we
b&cd=6&ved=0CKgEEBYwBQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mentby.com%2FGroup%2Fopenbsd-misc
%2Fa-live-cddvd.html&ei=dIYSUP3sDoyq8ASW94HwAg&usg=AFQjCNEmQO0H67h3CX888QJjuy
h-qnyBjA

a braille API that works in Linux and all flavors of BSD:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=braille+screenreader+OpenBSD&source=we
b&cd=8&ved=0CKsEEBYwBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fhal.inria.fr%2Fdocs%2F00%2F13%2F59%2F
46%2FTEX%2Fthibault-hinderer-icta-2007.tex&ei=dIYSUP3sDoyq8ASW94HwAg&usg=AFQj
CNExhilt0qbpLvZXKCLVxltZ8-6DqQ

if I remember correctly, bratty is an included package (it may be in the ports
tree, but I think its included in the primary install). Since I am still
learning braille, it would be nice to be able to connect that display through
the appropriate port and be able to install and configure without having to
install other packages for a screen reader in the BSD.rd installer.I have
recently acquired a BrailleX ELBA 40 cell display for this purpose. I am still
a long way from being proficient, but being able to interface with a machine
during all aspects of startup and installation would certainly be nice.

anyway, reading a man page might be a lot easier with braille. however, since
I don't know braille well enough, that is outside the point of the topic (for
now).

-eric