Thanks guys!

I had to disable it as soon as I found out so the relevant logs are
probably too far up the buffer, but I'll set up a test server ASAP and
study the tcpdump in detail.

> Somehow your mobiles hit either the fifteen new connections per five
> seconds max (that's only three new connections per second) or the 100
> simultaneous connections.  Impossible to say which one without studying
> the actual session data via tcpdump. Unless the back end is too brittle,
> consider loosening the rate limiting or discarding it altogether.
>
> You could try temporarily removing either the max-src-conn or the
> max-src-conn-rate setting to see which one trips up the mobiles.

Basically it's a social network geared towards teens, who tend to use
mobile for everything. I'm guessing properly designed spam bots would go
slow and at random intervals, so I'm not so sure how effective bruteforce
for httpd would actually be?

> Do you want to block >15/5 clients?

I'm not so sure anymore.

> Possibly relevant question: do all clients receive the same content, or
> is there a separate version you serve to mobile clients?

Currently it's all the same content. I'm planning to use Nginx to redirect
to a dedicated mobile site later on though.

Thank you!

Mikkel