On Thu, 7 Feb 2013, Otto Moerbeek wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 07, 2013 at 03:36:43PM +0000, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
>
> > Lars Nooden <lars.noo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I've got a small system running 5.2-stable and the clock seems off.  NTP
> > > is making entries like this on startup:
> > >
> > >  Jan 31 10:15:31 net5501 ntpd[20060]: adjusting local clock by 93.846882s
> > >
> > > I've looked around in the mail archives for various mailing lists and
> > > have
> > > the impression that a proper shutdown (using shutdown) will sync the
> > > hardware clock.
> >
> > The shutdown(8) command doesn't directly sync the RTC; boot(9) does.
> > You need to perform an actual halt or reboot for this to happen.
> >
> > --
> > Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          na...@mips.inka.de
>
> And remember ntpd takes it's time to adjust the clock.
>
> Set the clock once by hand or use rdate once if you are impatient.
>
>       -Otto

Thanks.  It looks like my drift was due to not using halt / shutdown.

I have now switched to using ntpd -s, since the box gets turned on almost
every day.  But because my ISP can take 3 to 5 minutes to cough up a DHCP
address, ntpd was getting started way before the public NTP servers were
available.  I've moved ntpd startup to /etc/rc.local after a check for
connectivity.

Regards,
/Lars