As Chuck pointed out this has nothing to do with pfsense or freebsd.

While I dig deeper I'm running with the following config to get around the
problem:
pf1.swe1# cat /etc/hostname.pfsync0
! sleep 10
! ifconfig $1 syncdev vlan44 syncpeer 10.240.252.77 up

pf1.swe1#

I see the request for the bulk transfer now, and the bulk transfer starting.
Although bulk transfer performance looks like a problem, but that is for
another thread.

/T