Dear everyone,

I'm well aware of the bashing potential this message contains, and
kindly ask you not to resort to the usual "offence is the best defence"
strategy. I've been in the scene for a long time (you'll find my first
e-mails to this list almost two decades ago) and I'm well aware of how
operating systems and application software works. I do not need to be
educated about the basics of proper software design, nor the fact that
OpenBSD is developed with different goals in mind than all of the Linux
crap out there.

With the above disclaimer said, and still knowing the potential for a
war, I must say this: There is not much hope for OpenBSD to ever become
a desktop (or laptop) OS if the nightmarish sluggishness of ALL modern
web browsers can not be solved. Even I, who can easily take long delays
etc. as the cost for having a much more secure system, am about to fry
my poor brain because even the few sites I need to use are just totally
unavailable if I browse them from OpenBSD.

Everyday problems include (but are not limited to): Waiting tens of
seconds to several minutes for a script intensive site like Facebook
(yes, I actually need to use it) or LinkedIn to load. Having the whole
system slow down to a crawl while the browser is trying to do it's
stuff. Having the browser crash (without any error messages) several
times a day -- after I've first waited 30-60 seconds for it to become
responsive.

Now I've spent lots and lots of time getting familiar with OpenBSD in
server environments, so I'm pretty well up to date with what I can do
to optimize the OS. I've been following the discussions that were
around six months ago or so, when there was a patch that relieved the
situation so that at least it became possible to finally watch YouTube
videos -- quite an achievement, considering that was in 2016 when
"everyone else" have had their videos running smoothly for at least a
decade.

I am not blaming anyone here -- I rarely do. I'm not asking anyone to
just fix this issue for me. In fact, I don't even care if it gets fixed
or not; I can always do my browsing on some other platform, even if it
feels insanely stupid. What I am saying is what I already said: Unless
issues like this get solved, OpenBSD will remain pretty much as it is,
which is properly coded, very stable and secure, but (when it comes to
a "normal" user or even an experienced sysadmin) utterly useless when
it comes to doing the stuff everyone does these days -- browsing the
net. Yes, I know many of you are browsing the net with OpenBSD. So am
I. Just to make sure everyone understands what I mean: it is not that
it would be impossible, it is just insanely irritating and slow.

Now, can anyone provide a relatively clear description of what it is
that make the same browsers (Firefox, Seamonkey, Chrome) that work
fine in Linux, Windows and OS X so ridiculously slow when they are
being run on OpenBSD?

Peace, please.

- Jyri