On Fri, May 25, 2018 at 06:43:57PM +0000, Chris Jones wrote:
> I see that the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter 6P is supported under octeon port.
> Just wondering if anyone on the list is running OpenBSD 6.3 or current
> on the EdgeRouter 6P? I'm mainly interested in the performance of this
> unit as a home firewall but also interested in using it for other SMB
> applications.

Yes, I am running -current on a number of EdgeRouter 4 and 6P units.
They seem to work quite well. Some cursory routing between subnets
performance tested with iperf3 yields a max of around 450 Mbps
throughput. There is a new octcrypto(4) driver which should be
interesting and is on my list to test for ipsec.

http://man.openbsd.org/octcrypto

The caveat I have seen is that the USB 3.0 controller is more finicky
than I would like but it seems to be working better recently with
xhci(4) fixes that have gone in over the last few months. I have had
good success with Samsung Fit USB 3.0 flash drives but had some initial
problems with Samsung T3/T5 USB 3.0 SSD drives erroring out with USB
problems. I use OpenBSD through resflash for the most part but vanilla
OpenBSD works fine although the library reordering is fairly slow (a
minute or two I think) on boot.

> I would generally be running standard network services plus
> isakmpd/iked, ospfd, unbound. Also, is it fair to assume the PoE ports
> are just active by default?

I have not done any ipsec but the rest work fine. The PoE ports do not
work at all under OpenBSD. PoE is off unless enabled through the EdgeOS
interface and there is no way to do that through OpenBSD. I would
recommend the EdgeRouter 4 unless you need to run from 24V DC power or
need the extra ports but PoE is useless unfortunately. Also, unlike with
the shared copper/fiber ports on the EdgeRouter Pro and UniFi Security
Gateway Pro, the fiber port on the ER-4/ER-6P works fine as an
additional port (cnmac0 actually).

Bryan