I have not investigated the full scenario here but using the new join
option for wireless network configuration does not seem to work if I use
an ID of 0, 1, or 2 and probably others. Is this expected? The man page
seems to indicate that this should work fine. From ifconfig(8):

"The id can either be any text string up to 32 characters in length, or
a series of hexadecimal digits up to 64 digits. Any necessary wpakey or
nwkey arguments should be specified on the same line."

Here is the scenario to test.

/etc/hostname.iwm0:
join 0 nwid TEST wpakey 1234567890
dhcp

This will not work and I will end up associated to the AP but status
will always stay as no network.

/etc/hostname.iwm0:
join TEST nwid TEST wpakey 1234567890
dhcp